Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Inspire- Morning Routine

I used to not be a morning person at all simply because mornings can often feel rushed and stressful for me and I hate starting my day off with those feelings rushing into my system.

However, I find that when I do mornings the right way, I am most productive and happy in the quiet hours before the hustle and bustle begins.  Let me assure you, I am not waking up before the sun rises but I am waking up with adequate time for me to feel fully awake and feel at peace before school starts.  Here is my morning routine and why I love it:

1.  Waking up:  I like to wake up at least an hour and half or more before my class begins.  It works nicely for me since my first classes aren't until 9:30 or 11:00.  When my alarm wakes me up, I usually stay in bed for an extra ten to fifteen minutes just getting accustomed to not being asleep.  One thing I really love when I wake up is my alarm sound.  I use my iPhone as an alarm clock and I have it set so that I can choose a song to wake up to rather than the blaring beeping sound.  I pick a song that it is upbeat yet soft so that I do in fact wake up, but am not scared by the sound.

2.  Getting Ready:  After I have made it out of bed I immediately go to the bathroom to wash my face, brush my teeth, etc.  This helps me feel more awake.  As I sit down to put on my makeup, I almost always light a candle (usually Vanilla) and put on a gentle  Ed Sheeran-esque playlist to create a soft and cozy environment rather than a harsh and rushed one.  I always take my time getting dressed and I also like to put on clothes that will make me feel more productive (so not sweats or Uggs).

3.  Breakfast: For breakfast I usually head to the coffee shop on campus and get some coffee or tea and a light breakfast.  During this time I find that I am most productive in either finishing up some homework or planning my day.  I think I am most productive simply because I am not trying to get it all done.  I leisurely do my work and when I do this I find I am most efficient.  Kinda backwards but it works!

I think for me, the trick is to take my time as well as be centered and calm throughout the morning.  If I save an important assignment for the morning of, it will lead me to a day of nervous energy and stress.  If I set aside that chunk of time in the morning to have my personal time and also get some work done, it makes an immense difference in how my days go.



Let me know what you do in the morning or what kind of playlists you like to listen to for the morning!

xo,
Alexandra S.

No comments:

Post a Comment